Jenny has very kindly shared her delicious recipe for a 'free from', vegan chocolate cake with the Moo Free Friends and now we're sharing it with you!
If you fancy winning a couple of bags of the baking drops, you just need to submit your 'free from', vegan recipes to Hammy Hamster either via FB messenger or by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org. If she picks your recipe for her 'Made with Moo Free' collection, you'll get some Baking Drops. It's as simple as that!
Anyway, without further ado, here's the recipe:
- JENNY'S BIG LOVELY CHOCOLATE CAKE -
For the cake:
• 170g self raising flour (can be made gluten free by using self raising gluten free flour and half a tsp of xanthan gum)
• 30g cocoa powder
• 200g caster sugar
• 200ml plant milk
• 2 tsp of cider vinegar
• 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1/2 tsp of baking powder
• sprinkle of salt
• big glug of oil (around 80ml)
For the icing:
• 75g plant spread
• 75g vegetable fat (such as trex)
• icing sugar until it's the correct consistency (around 200-250g)
• 80ml plant milk
• 30-50g cocoa powder (depends how chocolately you want it!)
• 1 bag of Moo Free Baking Drops.
For the cake:
1. Combine all the cake's dry ingredients.
2. Add the vinegar to your plant milk to allow it to curdle a little.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix quickly until combined. Don't over mix it! Separate into two cake tins and tap each cake tin on your work top to pop any bubbles.
4. Bake for around 20-30 minutes at gas mark 5.
5. Take out of the oven and allow to cool in the tin for around 10 minutes before transferring them to a rack.
1. Using either hand mixers or a free standing mixer, add the spread and vegetable fat together, plus half the plant milk. Mix these together until they become creamy.
2. Start adding the icing sugar, about 100g at a time, plus the cocoa powder.
3. Mix until it forms icing! If it gets too stiff, add the rest of your plant milk. If you want it stiffer, add more icing sugar.
Finishing the cake:
1. Once the cake has cooled, spread half the icing over one half, and scatter over half the Moo Free Baking Drops.
2. Place the other half of the cake on top, and cover with icing and the rest of the Moo Free Baking Drops.